Search for Free Books

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Memorable Passages-20: from THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV (2)

“It's just the same story as a doctor once told me,” observed the elder. “He was a man getting on in years, and undoubtedly clever. He spoke as frankly as you, though in jest, in bitter jest. ‘I love humanity,’ he said, ‘but I wonder at myself. The more I love humanity in general, the less I love man in particular. In my dreams,’ he said, ‘I have often come to making enthusiastic schemes for the service of humanity, and perhaps I might actually have faced crucifixion if it had been suddenly necessary; and yet I am incapable of living in the same room with any one for two days together, as I know by experience. As soon as any one is near me, his personality disturbs my self-complacency and restricts my freedom. In twenty-four hours I begin to hate the best of men: one because he's too long over his dinner; another because he has a cold and keeps on blowing his nose. I become hostile to people the moment they come close to me. But it has always happened that the more I detest men individually the more ardent becomes my love for humanity” - THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky - translated by Constance Garnett

1 comment:

qifei2012 said...

Experts say, the so you might fat reduction isn't the form of exercise you choose to do Wholesale p90x workout. Youve got a chance to burn up fat to shed pounds. Along with the P90X Lean 90 day workout method will allow you to do exactly that. This specific the process has got details within the cardio exercises element of fat loss, as an alternative to focusing simply by using muscle mass sculpting and the body p90x. Wholesale p90x