Search for Free Books

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Public Domain: Europeana is back online

Good news to book-lovers! Remember Europeana, the portal which offered around 2 million digital items. It was launched on November 21, 2008 and crashed on the same day due to 10 million hits per hour! It is back now. As I have registered myself with them, they have sent a notification informing me that it is back in action again. So those who want to try, can click:

As I have recorded in my earlier post, Europeana is a search platform for a collection of European digital libraries with digitized paintings, books, films and archives. The project was initiated by the European Commission. The Library contains around two million digital items, all of them already in public domain.

I repeat for the sake of bloggers, all the 2 million items are in the PUBLIC DOMAIN, which means you can use, re-use, distribute, re-distribute, excerpt and probably modify also; of course, with ncessary credit/attribution. Sort of bonanza, what you think!

The project aims to have 10 million works by 2010, when Europeana is due to be fully operational.

No comments: