Search for Free Books

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Books, Books, Books - Usha Dravid, The Times of India

I remember vividly the first day of school each year, when we would get our new textbooks. The touch of fresh, unopened pages, the crisp binding, was sheer enchantment. On the English literature books was inscribed the quote, "A book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit," which seemed as apt description of the vistas of the authors tried to open up in our young mind...."
Elizabeth Barret Browning, in her poem, 'Books, books, books!' expressed aptly how passionate a bookworm can become about an unfinished book, "And how I felt it beat under my pillow, in the morning's dark, an hour before the sun would let me read."
Luckily for us, our father also loved reading comics, so there was never a taboo about these so-called obnoxious objects. As a result, we read everything from classics, down to Superman....
I have tried to read e-books, but though I love my computer dearly, reading on screen as it were, cannot hold a candle to reading a real book. For what joy can be greater than to cradle an old favourite tome, turn its crumbling pages gently, and relive the magical contents over and over again? - Usha Dravid
Courtesy: The Times of India

No comments: