Search for Free Books

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Book Review-1: A delightful Book-Review from Vedanta Kesari

Some book-reviews make delightful reading. I found this particular book review not only delightful but also very funny and thought I would post it on my blog for the benefit of everybody else. An excerpt from Book Review in Vedanta Kesari, October 1990 of "Knowledge, Freedom and Language" by D.P.Chattopadhyaya:

"DP is at once the darling of the academicians and despair of readers of general philosophy and social sciences. Obviously, he is aware of it as is evidenced by his delightful observations in his "Acknowledgements". He writes: "At different stages of preparing the essays collected in this volume, I have been influenced by three members of my family in different ways: Supriya, my daughter-in-law, and my most fierce critic, never ceased to remind me how biased and prejudiced I am in all human affairs, domestic as well as academic. Debabrata, my son, all along a silent critic of mine, could hardly conceal his wonder at the 'futile' labour of his 'otherwise sensible father' on writing a spate of 'unreadable' books on philosophy. Sohini, my grand-daughter, and the lone supporter at home, often sitting on my writing desk and taking away my pen and papers, tried to convince me ion vain how NOT to write useless things."

No comments: